Have any of you seen the email circulating about putting Vicks Vaporub on your feet at night? I looked it up on Snopes a few weeks ago when Ryan had a cough and it's still "undetermined." But let me tell you...IT WORKS.
We've been using a vaporizer in Kaylin's room for about a week to help her cough, but she just can't seem to beat it. I tried the Vicks and it didn't seem to make much difference. Then yesterday, I ran into a friend at the chiropractor who said that she read that you put Vicks on your feet, then wet socks (warm water), then dry socks. She did it on herself and she said she slept SO well. Then last night at 2am, Kaylin got herself into such a coughing fit that she was choking and gagging and actually made herself vomit. I went in to change her sheets, changed her PJs and did the Vicks trick with the new wet-socks-technique Sally told me about. Within 2 minutes, the coughing stopped. I rocked her a bit and put her back to bed and seriously, it was...dead...silent. Nothing. The coughing was completely gone. I, on the other hand, was wide awake and took over an hour to fall back to sleep. But wow, I'm so glad Kaylin was able to sleep peacefully. She had been having coughing fits for 2-5 minutes all night long, poor thing.
What's weird is that Kaylin's wet diapers in the mornings (after putting Vicks on her feet) smell very strange. I've heard that this works b/c the Vicks absorbs into the bloodstream, so I guess that's how it exits the body. Beware of odd smelling diaper changes if you try this, but if your family is coughing, DO try it.












1 comment:
That is so funny that you mentioned this...My dad told me about it a few months ago and I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. (And my dad is so the type to believe stuff like that). Then in a fit of desparation one night, I tried it and it did work! I hadn't heard about the wet socks part though...I just did Vicks with dry socks.
Post a Comment