One of the (many) things that made me believe that a Gluten Free lifestyle was possible for our family was when I stumbled upon King Arthur's Gluten Free flour at my grocery store. However, it was incredibly expensive, so I started looking around online to see if I could make it cheaper myself.
This is the simplest recipe I found and is something I can mix together to have on hand for baking absolutely anything. All of these items are available in the "natural" section of my nearest grocery store and for sure at the health food store I frequent.
4 cups superfine brown rice flour (homemade recipe here)
2/3 cup tapioca flour
1 1/3 cups potato starch
2 tsp xanthan gum (optional - I found this exact recipe both with and without it and this stuff isn't cheap)
Mix together in a ziplock bag or sealed jar. Store in the refrigerator up to 6 months.













3 comments:
I agree the xanthum gun isn't cheap, but sometimes things just don't turn out right without it, especially baked goods.
I would recommend Jules GF flour! it is a 1:1 conversion for any of your normal recipes. You swap out the regular flour with the Jules. I have ahd great success breads and with cookies (although they were a little flatter and more crumbly). Same great taste as if I made it with normal flour. A 5 lb. bag is about $20.00 (unless you buy in bulk). So worth it to me to not have to mess with multiple ingrediants and the xanthum (its already inthere). GF eating can be complicated enough. Here is the link to their site.
http://www.julesglutenfree.com/
Super Walmart sells it and it's not that bad of a price.
Post a Comment