Sunday, August 10, 2008

Easy (and CHEAP) Wall Art

The blank wall above my bed has bugged since we moved into this house 2.5 years ago. But today...we have art.

Recently, I fell in love with the idea of adhering 12x12 scrapbook paper to square canvases. When I went in search of the perfect papers, the lady at the scrapbook store convinced me that foam core board would be easier and significantly cheaper than canvas. My friend April scored me some free core board and cheaper became FREE. I even added a letter "R" that I bought for 50 cents on clearance a few months back. I painted it, distressed the edges and it was a perfect addition!

All in, paper, embellishments, spray adhesive and all...this project came in under $12. Check out the cool blue dragonfly at the bottom near the red scroll. I cut him out and put him on top of the dragonfly on the paper in the corner for some dimension.


I painted the edges of the foam core with some gray paint I had lying around, sprayed the adhesive and (not so carefully) stuck the paper onto the boards...


Added the embellishments...


Made a juvenile attempt at gluing string onto the backs of each board and hung them on the wall.


The measurements still are a teeny bit off, but I'm sick of messing with it, so it's good enough for now. I actually may space them out a bit more...they look a little dwarfed above my headboard now that I'm seeing them in pictures.


My next project is to get the stray spray glue off my kitchen table. Then I'm on to making the cornices for my family room and craft room. Pictures of those to come soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look how crafty you are! I think it turned out great. I love the embellishments. I may attempt something like this for my half bath. I would like to jazz it up a bit.

How so the sides on the foam core look painted? That is my only drawback, I think.

Heathahlee said...

I love this idea. I think I may have to do something like this in my hallway. It's too...blank. Thanks for the pics!

April said...

Looks lovely Katie! But now I am too intimidated to do my own. :) Just kidding. I am being too perfectionistic about it. Trying to find the PEFECT paper etc.

April said...

How ironic is that? I misspelled PERFECT. What a moron.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You should be proud...it looks fabulous. Isn't it so fun?

Shelly said...

Looks great! I can't wait to try it. My only wonder is how the coreboard cuts. Is it difficult to do or did they come in the 12 x 12 squares? I've looked and I can't find them that size. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe I do need to cut them. I guess I'm just kinda worried the cutting wont turn out. Good job girlie!

Carry Grace said...

Katie, these turned out GREAT! You did such a good job. I've bought paper to do this, but can't decide where I want them to go. I'm leaning towards over our bed, but then there is a blank wall in the dining room.

Related Posts with Thumbnails