Just a quick idea for all of my friends with kids who don't yet read. A few months ago, I took pictures of things that I wanted Ryan to do in the morning and printed out a simple "Chore Chart" for him to refer to before going downstairs for breakfast. And even though I ask him every day to turn off his nightlight, because it's not been on the chart, he always forgets. So I added a couple of things to the chart last night and printed out a new one for him. Someone saw it in his room recently and mentioned that it was cool, so I decided to share with all of you, just in case your kids could benefit from this idea. I put his picture on the Chore Chart, plus each of the following:
Monday, December 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












2 comments:
This is a great idea. It fits in nicely with something I saw AGES ago on how to help kids learn how to clean their rooms to the standards their parents expect. You spend a Saturday afternoon together making a special ring-binder folder. Each step of the way, you take a picture (or let the kid take a picture) of how you want everything to look. Then you color, decorate, whatever to make it fun and really involve them.
From then on, when you tell them to go clean their room, they have a visual reminder of how YOU expect everything to look, and there isn't the whole 'I said clean your room!' 'But I DID clean my room!' 'You call THAT clean?!' fiasco.
I can't wait for Little Cub to be old enough to do this little project!
That is a pretty cool idea. One thing I've really learned since the kids have been in daycare is that they are WAY more capable than I sometimes give them credit for. Even Ethan, at barely 20 months, has started doing things for himself that I wouldn't have even thought to expect of him. I'm sure if I encourage the kids to do more chores they would love being so helpful and I wouldn't have to do as much myself!
Post a Comment