Have you ever wondered how organized people keep clutter at bay? There are lots of tips and tricks, but one of the secrets (there are not 143…I made that up) is to never leave a room without taking something with you. Obviously, you'll want to be intentional about bringing something that doesn't belong in the kitchen upstairs to the office when you head up to change your clothes. Or bring the laundry basket down to the laundry room on your way downstairs to start making dinner. Get the idea?
For me, this is a never-ending cycle because my sweet "I'm four now and I'm not three anymore because I've had lots of birthdays…four of them…" Jason lives by a similar philosophy. The problem is that instead of bringing things back into the room where they belong, he chooses to take things from their rightful homes and drop them off in a totally random part of the house.
I find stuffed animals in my closet. Clean, neglected wardrobe changes on my bathroom floor. Schoolbooks in the hallway. Dirty socks on my bed. Books in the pantry. Hot Wheels by the front door. The iPad cover in the play room. Darts and dart guns every.where. I'm not making up a single one of these examples…these are just a few things I've found this week. He remains, and may always be, Destructo-boy: Destroyer of All Things Tidy.
So if you feel like your house looks like a tornado went through it, give this task a try. And don't just dump something on a table when you drop it in the right room - take a quick second and put it back in the drawer where it belongs, put dishes in the dishwasher, hang up the shirt, throw the trash way…you get the idea. You will save yourself the extra work later!
Hi Katie! Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know. It's good to hear from you. I still make your banana bread recipe all the time. I hope the Pinterest party goes well. I didn't plan the one I attended, but it was a LOT of fun.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I completely agree with this neat freak rule.