Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'm done yelling. Seriously.

Jason: "Hey Mommy - take a picture of me with my angry face" (notice his bed head that looks like devil horns)
I mentioned that I'm reading through the book "Unglued" with some friends, right? Yesterday's chapter discussed the idea of having an action plan for the moments of crisis that are inevitable to pop up in life.

The author gave the example of an angry passenger on an airplane. The flight crew is trained to deal with these and many other types of situations. They don't take rants personally, they don't become emotional, they stay calm, voices low and firm, giving a warning so everyone knows what to expect if things continue to escalate.

So why don't I do that??? Back when I used to volunteer in the kids classrooms (particularly pre-school), I was a master at handling crazy kids with composure. But admittedly, I'm out of the habit. I decided this morning that I need to start treating my children the way I would treat your children if they were in my home without you. I would outline the rules, explain the consequences of breaking those rules, give appropriate warnings, then follow through without being emotional about it.

Today I challenged myself to do that exact sequence. Hour by hour, I vowed not to raise my voice. I don't care that my hormones are raging, so what if rainy weather makes kids a little crazy, it doesn't matter whether everyone behaves like robots or not...I would never stand for anyone else speaking to my kids the way I have this week! It's unacceptable for others and it is absolutely unacceptable for me. I'm ashamed and embarrassed.

I shared this challenge with my best friend this morning and she offered some additional insight: when we (as parents) don't stay on top of issues of obedience, there's no grace left for the genuine accidents that all {clumsy} kids have.  If I follow through with making sure Jason goes upstairs the first time I ask and I'm not forced to restrain my frustration by attempting to calmly repeat myself 3-4 times, by the time he accidentally knocks into the water cup full of paint brushes and it spills on the table, I'm much more likely to respond with love and grace. If I'm already maxed out, any small incident could be "the final straw." (which is too often the case) 

I overheard Kaylin say to Ryan yesterday, "I spilled a little paint on my skirt," to which I just closed my eyes and shook my head (it was the 3rd paint accident in a very short time) but Ryan quietly responded, "Don't mention it to Mom right now or she might freak out again." He totally had my number! That is not how I want my kids to be talking about me behind my back, that's for sure.

Other things play a vital role, too...like whether I've gotten enough sleep and have been eating well.  Same goes for the kids; if they're tired or hungry, coming down off a sugar high or if they haven't had one-on-one time with me, they have their own short fuses to deal with. I can usually take that into consideration, but not when I have my own issues that cloud my judgement. 

My new plan of attack is this: First and foremost, start each day with prayer, asking God to help me control my emotions hour by hour, if needed. Next, speak to the kids with the same kindness and respect that I would someone else's children. Especially when we homeschool...I need to get back to the mental image of taking off my mom hat and putting on my teacher hat every day. Patience, patience, patience. Last, I need to draw a firm line in the sand about first time obedience. When I'm overtired or distracted or rushing out the door, I'm not good about following through to make sure the kids do what I ask of them. The big kids see this inconsistency and know when they can slack off. No more! Because later, when I realize they didn't hang up their coat when I told them to (or whatever), I'm more likely to raise my voice in shock and disbelief...WAY overreacting and WAY after the instruction was ignored.

I'm no longer going to get louder in order to feel heard in my house. My new goal is to stay calm and unemotional, following through with consequences immediately instead of half-heartedly throwing out requests for the kids to do this or that.

We need a major boot camp up in here. I started a little today and got quite a bit of resistance. Wish me luck...it's going to be loooong weekend!
 post signature

8 comments:

  1. Good for you, Katie! Placing God first, having a clear action plan, treating everyone with respect and kindness, and taking the emotion out of these moments is SURE to produce peace in your heart and your home once again.

    I'll be especially careful and care-filled this weekend while I'm with the GK's to back you up and follow through the first time.

    You go girl!!

    XOX
    Your proud Mama :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I join this boot camp with you?! My kids are REALLY getting the brunt of my big bad yelling voice these past few months, and it's time to stop in our house, too. I'll join in this challenge with you from across the pond, see if we can get some good Mommy Mojo floating around the planet. ;-)

    By the way, how did the almonds turn out?

    ----- DutchMac (I'm signed in on another account and too lazy to go back and re-sign in)

    ReplyDelete
  3. {sigh...} I need to do this with you. thanks for the kick in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family and I just arrived in CA for holidays (we live in Australia) and I was so excited to open one of my many Amazon boxes to see "Unglued" - which I ordered the moment I read your post on a it a week or two ago - can't wait to dive in!

    Also, can't believe you're on MSM!!! You must be getting a zillion hits on your blog - way to go!

    Jen (formerly of Texas and mailer of scrapbooking materials eons ago).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I just found your blog. I've been working on this, too. What I keep reminding myself is that the biggest lessons that I am teaching my kids as a homeschooling mom are the lessons they learn simply by watching me. Do I really want to set an example of a snappy mom that yells to get what I want. Not so much. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to have to check out Unglued. Sounds like a neat book. My favorite one right now is called Loving Our Kids on Purpose. Really great approach to integrating God's love in our discipline. I agree that yelling is not the way . . . I grew up in a household that yelled all the time. It's a hard pattern to stop. So glad God's big enough to help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the kick in the pants that morning. I love your honesty. I love your willingness to put into action what you are thinking. And for dragging me along!!!! mwah!

    Also, that conversation has totally helped me with my own chitlins. Wow. What a helpful way to look at them. Like they are my bestie's kids, not my own. And in a sense, they are my Bestie's kids. Our bestie-Jesus-His kids really. We are stewards of them for right now. They belong to Him.

    Thank you, my friend. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting this. I recently told my son "You have to behave", to which he repeated "You have to behave mama." (He's 3) And you know what? He was right. I looked at my own behavior. I feel horrible when I yell, and you hit the nail on the head. I have a problem with follow through. I feel like a horrible parent for engaging in yelling matches with a toddler. But I WILL pray at the top of each day, and make the changes necessary to respectfully raise my kids into respectable people. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!