It is no secret that I love a tidy house, but it is nearly impossible to keep up with the tornado of toys all by myself. And we all know my kids will help for a little bit, but there are always straggling pieces and parts laying around the floor at any given time, day or night.
The other day, I met a mom of six with a clean-freak husband who figured out the secret. After all of her kids are in bed, she goes around the house and gathers all of the stray shoes, toys, books and games. She then puts them in her trunk and her kids have to buy them back, $.25 per piece. Shoes? $.25...each. Legos? $.25 each. The only thing safe from her wrath are school books and backpacks.
If the kids are indifferent to buying back certain items, they know that she donates them to Good Will. It keeps her floor tidy and her house slightly less cluttered.
This is not a new concept, but it's definitely not one that I've tried. Oh, but I will. And I can't wait for the results! I'll keep you posted.
Ohmygoodness, this is genius!!! Thank you for sharing! Don't think it'll work for a two year old BUT I can start confiscating toys after bedtime at least. Which means less toys to clutter. I've already started confiscating toys from him for when he refuses to put them away or hand to me at dinner. Anyway, thanks for sharing! Came across your blog when looking for house rules to start implementing and think I'll be coming back!
ReplyDelete