Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Getting my Act Together for the Rest of 2012

I need to hit the "reset" button on my life. I am SO longing to get back to a place of organization and intentionality! In the last year or two, I've fallen off the wagon with meal planning, couponing, exercising, and preparing my to-do lists with three "most important tasks" in mind for the next day.

My life isn't falling apart or anything, I'm just not used to living in a just-in-time world. It all happened gradually as Jason became more destructive mobile, then I began my Tastefully Simple business, doing lots of parties and building a team, then homeschooling took over last year.  These are  all good things, but all the more reason to get my ducks in a row so life runs more smoothly.

Don't get me wrong...it's not complete chaos around here. I realize I sound super busy, but I've embraced a much calmer pace with slower, lazy days. That might be part of the problem...when I was go-go-go, I just kept going until everything got done. But now, when the kids decide to all go play outside, instead of popping in a workout video, I open a book or magazine. It's been nice, but I'm kind of over it. I need to be ahead of the 8 ball once again.

I hate throwing something together for dinner at 5:15pm. I hate arriving at the grocery store without my coupons (because they're in a pile waiting to be clipped) randomly grabbing items for our weekly menu. I hate discovering that I have all but ONE ingredient for a great recipe. I hate finding a pocket of time that I could be productive and not remembering what needs to be done, so I plop down in front of Facebook or Pinterest. I hate feeling overwhelmed by insignificant tasks like finding a gift for a birthday party. I hate that on the days that I skip the gym, our homeschool routine flows flawlessly, so I convince myself not to exercise.

These would all be excellent New Years Resolutions, but I'm ready to get ahead of the game before the excitement and busy-ness of Christmas takes over my house. I'm done. Today.

First, I'm starting with a meal plan. I have a house full of food, so I just need to figure out how to throw it altogether into a dinner recipe...or seven. From now through the end of the year, I'm going to spend 20 minutes on Sundays planning our meals for the upcoming week.  That alone will be SO helpful! If I have time, I'll clip coupons and make my grocery list too. 

At night, before zoning out in front of the t.v. or the computer or a book, I'll put together my to-do list for the following day, prioritizing the top 3 items so that if I do NOTHING else that day, I can feel at least a little productive and not guilty when I veg out.

I will spend 5 minutes picking up the main areas of the house before heading to bed.

I will schedule times to exercise through the week like they are an appointment that cannot be broken.

On Sundays, I'll continue to plan the kids' lessons for school for the week. Including craft ideas from Pinterest so I can cram in all of the Christmasy ideas before December gets away from me.

I already feel better. I'm a natural planner and this willy-nilly attitude I've developed lately is becoming extremely uncomfortable.

I'm off to create our menu through Thanksgiving!!!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Katie! I was so glad to come across this post:) I have been feeling so un-intentional lately (okay, lately might be the past 11 months!!!) and it has been so refreshing to read how you are pushing through it and turning it around. Thanks for a swift kick and dose of motivation;) Miss you friend!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!