Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I'm officially over the caterpillar experiment

So I went from being the cool mom who let her kids put bugs in a jar so we can watch one of God's great miracles to now, where I want to open the lid and leave these disgusting insects on the patio to be some lucky bird's lunch.

Being that homeschool curriculum is so expensive, I jumped on the bandwagon for this FREE science experiment. But today, I was pushed past my limit. Watching these creatures is like a train wreck - I'm horrified, but I can't look away.

Then I noticed something on the bottom of the jar.  The caterpillar that I was convinced was dead yesterday suddenly had no legs. And it was smoother. And turning dark. DUH! It was transforming into a cocoon!

Except...

These aren't caterpillars that turn into butterflies. Some guy at the park said they will turn into moths.  So maybe the dark cocoon thingy that's not required to hang from the top of the jar IS right on track with a moth?

I Googled it. I did not like what I found.

If you're interested to see what we currently have growing in our home, please visit this link for a picture of the before, during and after that we get to experience. They're hideous. And no, it's not cool.  Even Ryan gasped and said in a disappointed tone, "Mom, they're so ugly!"

I refuse to post pictures of these repulsive insects on the same page as my beautiful children.

And I'm tempted...oh so tempted...to jump ship on our little experiment-in-a-jar.  Because they're bugs. And they're so gross. And they're going to emerge even...grosser. (Yes, I know that's not a word, but I'm struggling here!)

Oh - and it's NOT a cocoon when you're talking about a nasty moth. It's a pupa. Doesn't that even SOUND grosser??!!

Cocoon: cool. Pupa: nasty.

Here's a downloaded picture of the pupa. I erased the link before thinking to give the brave photographer credit. THIS is what is on the bottom of our jar.  Not just laying still...convulsing and wiggling around every once in a while. It makes me claustrophobic.
Aren't you glad you visited my blog today?
post signature

5 comments:

  1. It looks like the catepillar turned into a slug, on its way to a moth.

    From the very same Mom who gags at poop, I don't think it's that gross. But then again, they're in your house and not mine.

    ;-)
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, isn't this 'one of God's great miracles' too? Didn't He create ALL things, not only the bright and beautiful (cue Sunday school song) but the creepy and ugly as well? How is this any LESS of a science lesson just because it wouldn't win a modelling competition?

    Truth isn't always pretty, but education should always be the truth. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing that keeps popping into my mind when I see those pictures is "It puts the lotion on its skin". And therefore, I would probably quit this experiment too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing so hard at this post. All bugs are gross to me, caterpillar or pupa. At least they are contained in the jar, right? You are still way nicer than me. I still haven't braved the whole "bugs in the house experiment" of homeschooling. Maybe now that the weather is slightly less oven-like, they can live on the back patio?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up and brighten my day Katie!!!
    Love Jamie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!