I was skeptical when I saw this recipe for no sugar oat drops sent from my wonderful, all-natural friend in Michigan. There is no flour, no sugar or honey, no butter, no eggs or dairy - they're like the perfect allergy-free snack!
I had a few over ripe bananas that day, so I whipped up a batch and am completely hooked. I made some adjustments to use what I had on hand and they were surprisingly good.
These "cookies" are healthy, yet very nutrient dense, so don't keep popping them in your mouth when they begin to grow on you. I froze them for pre-workout energy since my morning smoothies seem to leave me tired and winded too soon into my aerobics classes these days.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes (I don't do coconut, so this is optional)
1/4 cup of almond meal (put almonds into a food processor or coffee grinder and pulse)
1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped (I used almonds, walnuts and pecans)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup dried fruit (I used 1/2 chopped dried dates and 1/2 raisins)
-----------
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, almond meal, mixed nuts and coconut flakes. Stir in salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add dried fruit and stir until well and evenly mixed. Make sure the dried fruit do not stick together in big batches.
Yields 20 "breakfast cookies" - depending on the size. (I used a medium cookie scoop)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup dried fruit (I used 1/2 chopped dried dates and 1/2 raisins)
-----------
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, almond meal, mixed nuts and coconut flakes. Stir in salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add dried fruit and stir until well and evenly mixed. Make sure the dried fruit do not stick together in big batches.
- In another bowl, combine canola oil, mashed banana and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten with a fork. (they will not spread while baking) Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Scoop large spoonfuls of batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten with a fork. (they will not spread while baking) Bake for about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Yields 20 "breakfast cookies" - depending on the size. (I used a medium cookie scoop)


No comments:
Post a Comment
I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!