![]() |
| Jason feeding me grapes last month...back when I was making good choices! |
I'm a pretty efficient person. I'm intentional about most everything I do (hence the blog name) whether it's errands, playing with my kids or my own downtime...I plan what I'll do and when based on how many little people are unconscious in my house at any given time.
But I have to say that homeschooling has thrown a monkey wrench into my daily rhythm. Homeschooling itself is amazing. I'm really thrilled with how much the kids and I enjoy it! I knew this undertaking would consume lots of time, so I put my business on hold for the month of December while we all adjusted. However, it seems that taking on such a huge task means that something has to give in another area.
And that area has been me. Physically.
My sleep is precious to me, so that's not a problem. (a sleepy mom is an impatient mom in our house) My health, however, has taken the back seat during this transition. And by backseat, I really mean TRUNK. Or maybe even the car behind me.
Not only have I not made the gym a priority, but my food choices have been horrendous! Like it wasn't bad enough that we're knee-deep in the baking and party-going season...
I could blame it on the fact that Mike was traveling for work most of the past two weeks. I was barely able to keep my head above water with a pleasant attitude, so cooking healthy meals was not a priority. Pizza, pasta, salty quick-fixes, carbs, carbs, carbs. And snacks? Whatever I could grab at the time...Christmas cookies have been readily available. I haven't been eating my daily salad for lunch and certainly haven't been making eggs for breakfast. Eating out has increased as time has decreased. And don't get me started on how many liquid calories I've consumed socially in the last month.
I'm positive I would faint if I sat down and calculated my daily calorie intake.
My body is begging to exercise. The jiggle when I wiggle disgusts me! I'm praying that the 4 lbs I've gained in the past two weeks is all water weight, but I know better.
Successfully homeschooling? Check.
Tidy house? Check.
To-do list sustained? Check.
Errands run? Check.
Cookies baked? Check.
Emails under control? Check.
Christmas cards sent? Check.
Christmas gifts purchased? Check.
Gifts wrapped? Mostly, so check.
Happy kids? Check.
Happy mom? Check.
Happy dad? Check.
But do my jeans fit? Um, notsomuch. I walk around almost every day in my gym clothes, trying to find the time to load everyone in the car and go. But it just hasn't happened. So I eat a handful of Christmas cookies instead. Then climb into bed for my sugar coma when Kaylin heads off to Kindergarten, Jason naps and Ryan reads. I could do a workout video, but a nap sounds so much more refreshing.
I have GOT to get this under control, and it stinks that I'm taking on this challenge before the New Year! But if I wait, I'll be in so much more trouble.
(*sigh*)
Instead of complaining, I need some action items.
1. Meal plan...HEALTHY meals.
2. Portion control.
3. One Christmas cookie is fine. Ten is not.
4. Workout 4-5 times per week. Schedule gym time, but accept that I must workout during naptime, too.
5. Increase water intake, decrease alcohol intake.
6. Stop baking.
7. Do. Not. Compromise. The short term satisfaction isn't worth the long term ramifications.
Okay, I'm feeling better already. Kind of. So much easier said than done. Let's see if I can walk the talk!

But I have to say that homeschooling has thrown a monkey wrench into my daily rhythm. Homeschooling itself is amazing. I'm really thrilled with how much the kids and I enjoy it! I knew this undertaking would consume lots of time, so I put my business on hold for the month of December while we all adjusted. However, it seems that taking on such a huge task means that something has to give in another area.
And that area has been me. Physically.
My sleep is precious to me, so that's not a problem. (a sleepy mom is an impatient mom in our house) My health, however, has taken the back seat during this transition. And by backseat, I really mean TRUNK. Or maybe even the car behind me.
Not only have I not made the gym a priority, but my food choices have been horrendous! Like it wasn't bad enough that we're knee-deep in the baking and party-going season...
I could blame it on the fact that Mike was traveling for work most of the past two weeks. I was barely able to keep my head above water with a pleasant attitude, so cooking healthy meals was not a priority. Pizza, pasta, salty quick-fixes, carbs, carbs, carbs. And snacks? Whatever I could grab at the time...Christmas cookies have been readily available. I haven't been eating my daily salad for lunch and certainly haven't been making eggs for breakfast. Eating out has increased as time has decreased. And don't get me started on how many liquid calories I've consumed socially in the last month.
I'm positive I would faint if I sat down and calculated my daily calorie intake.
My body is begging to exercise. The jiggle when I wiggle disgusts me! I'm praying that the 4 lbs I've gained in the past two weeks is all water weight, but I know better.
Successfully homeschooling? Check.
Tidy house? Check.
To-do list sustained? Check.
Errands run? Check.
Cookies baked? Check.
Emails under control? Check.
Christmas cards sent? Check.
Christmas gifts purchased? Check.
Gifts wrapped? Mostly, so check.
Happy kids? Check.
Happy mom? Check.
Happy dad? Check.
But do my jeans fit? Um, notsomuch. I walk around almost every day in my gym clothes, trying to find the time to load everyone in the car and go. But it just hasn't happened. So I eat a handful of Christmas cookies instead. Then climb into bed for my sugar coma when Kaylin heads off to Kindergarten, Jason naps and Ryan reads. I could do a workout video, but a nap sounds so much more refreshing.
I have GOT to get this under control, and it stinks that I'm taking on this challenge before the New Year! But if I wait, I'll be in so much more trouble.
(*sigh*)
Instead of complaining, I need some action items.
1. Meal plan...HEALTHY meals.
2. Portion control.
3. One Christmas cookie is fine. Ten is not.
4. Workout 4-5 times per week. Schedule gym time, but accept that I must workout during naptime, too.
5. Increase water intake, decrease alcohol intake.
6. Stop baking.
7. Do. Not. Compromise. The short term satisfaction isn't worth the long term ramifications.
Okay, I'm feeling better already. Kind of. So much easier said than done. Let's see if I can walk the talk!


I hope you can get some time to yourself. I have told my kids that in the school holidays they will have to encourage Mum to keep up the walking I have been doing for the past 3 months. If the weather is ok, put Jason in the stroller and the other kids can walk, it could be scheduled into the homeschool day maybe.
ReplyDeleteGood luck.
Jackie
(NZ)
::HUG:: I'm jealous of all you have accomplished (christmas cards AND a clean house - congratulations!!)
ReplyDeleteI'd like to echo the previous poster about scheduling exercise into the homeschool day. Are you doing any sort of phy ed curriculum?
Other ideas - if Ryan is doing math facts on a trampoline, can you jump along with him? Can the kids count push ups (maybe make it a new game where they count the number of situps, and then add/subtract the number of pushups or something).
But really, considering everything going on - you are doing great. (And now I'm going to see if I can finish Christmas cards and get the house clean!)
You are definitely not the only one in the Fat Boat, sister. I'm right here with ya! Let's just hope our holiday consumption doesn't cause the ship to completely capsize.
ReplyDeleteThen again, the extra pounds I'm carrying DO add a certain buoyancy....