Thursday, July 28, 2011

Someday...

Jason's attempt at setting the table for dinner. For five of us. At 3pm.
Someday, I'll be able to walk across the floor without stepping over (or stepping on) toys.

Someday, I'll get to eat my meal hot off the stove, instead of lukewarm because I first had to serve hungry little people and cut their food into bite-sized pieces.

Someday, the cereal bars in the pantry will be their proper shape, not crushed from a toddler's hand carrying them around while begging for a snack.

Someday, I will be able to complete a workout video without little ones jumping on my back during push ups, hand weights disappearing before my eyes and a roll of toilet paper being unraveled throughout the house. (those all happened yesterday, by the way)

Someday, I will be able to blow dry my hair without fear of waking someone up on the other side of the wall.

Someday, things will be right where I left them, like the cordless mouse, the remote control and the contents of my nightstand.

Someday, I will get to check off everything on my to do list every day. 

Someday, I will be able to have a full, uninterrupted conversation with my husband at any time of the day or night.

Someday, certain phrases will be foreign to me, like, "Inside voices, please," and "Use your words, not your hands," and "Shut the door - you're letting all the cold/hot air inside the house," and "Is that food?  Then get it out of your mouth," and "How many times should he have to scream, 'STOP' before you actually stop?" and "Please don't use your brother's head as a drum."

Someday, I won't have to do laundry every morning.

Someday, I won't have to pack lunches every night.

Someday, the sliding glass door will be free of hand prints, the floor will be free of crumbs and the house will be filled with silence.

Someday, I will miss the chaos.

Someday, I won't need to yell to feel heard.

Someday, I will wish my house was full of life and laughter again.

Someday, I will long for what I have at this exact point in time.

Someday, I will stop complaining.  That day is today.
post signature

8 comments:

  1. My husband jokes that our kids know exactly when we are about to have a conversation even if they are in another room because they always interrupt right when we begin it seems. But I told him 'someday we will have those conversations again but that means our babies will be all grown up.' Which of course made me emoitonal thinking about it. Lovely post Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all the above!

    Except for the 'stop complaining' thing. I'm not there yet.

    Well, not today. Some days I stop, but it's only temporary, and today isn't one of those days.

    Maybe I'll get back to it tomorrow.

    xoxoxooxoxooxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend, you also know that on those days down the road when the house is quiet, the Lord will help you find contentment in that season of life...just like He will help you find contentment in this season where He has you now. Press on for His honor and glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to add...
    Someday I won't have to change diapers anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this and it's so true, thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this bookmarked in my "reality check" folder on my computer. I had to re-read this today. I have been "going through the motions" lately just wanting each day to be over before it barely begins. I need this reminder every once-in-awhile. I WILL miss this. All of it.
    Thanks for remininding me!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!