Sunday, July 10, 2011

Best...Chocolate Chip Cookies...Ever. Seriously.

Thanks to my BFF, I officially have a new favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Alton Brown (from Food Network - a little quirky, but always informative) has a video explaining WHY these are the best chewy cookies ever created.  It's only 2 minutes long and worth watching, but if you just want to see the recipe, well...here it is.

Sift together:
2 + 1/4 cup BREAD flour *
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda

Melt (yes, melt) 2 sticks (1 cup) butter.

Beat the butter with:
1/4 cup sugar
1 + 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. milk
1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla

Add the dry mixture (above) and 2 cups chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes and Alton insists that you should only bake 6 cookies at a time.  I cooked the first batch for 15 minutes and they were WAY too brown, but still disappeared before I could get a picture for this blog post.  The second cookie sheets were baked at 12-13 minutes and were absolutely perfectly soft and chewy and delicious.

Yields: about 3 dozen.

You are welcome.

*If you're annoyed at the idea of buying bread flour and don't want a huge 5 lb bag sitting around, I strongly recommend trying Martha's Olive Oil Bread recipe.  The bread flour makes a huge difference.  You'll thank me for this recipe, too...I promise.


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Are we on the same wavelength or WHAT?! My FFF last week was OUR favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe! (the secret is the vanilla pudding mix)

    I'm so glad to know we can share in our love of sugar and fat, even with the great big pond separating us. ;-)

    xoxoxooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks a LOT Katie....my post pregnant body thanks you. They're in the oven now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alton Brown is a GENIUS! It's about the water and creating gluten! I love this recipe. Thanks for the shout out. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!