I have this conversation with people all the time...I had this conversation just last night. No joke!
Why do so many people have food allergies these days? What on Earth are the farmers doing to that dumb peanut to create such a panic in someone who is highly allergic, that they can't so much as go onto an airplane if there are peanut oils in the air? Or did you hear about the teen who died after kissing her boyfriend because he ate a peanut butter snack?!?!
Why do so many people have food allergies these days? What on Earth are the farmers doing to that dumb peanut to create such a panic in someone who is highly allergic, that they can't so much as go onto an airplane if there are peanut oils in the air? Or did you hear about the teen who died after kissing her boyfriend because he ate a peanut butter snack?!?!
Does this concern anyone else?
I feel like I'm constantly saying, "It just wasn't like this when we were kids..." and I'm not that old.
I feel like I'm constantly saying, "It just wasn't like this when we were kids..." and I'm not that old.
Well, I stumbled upon this video. It doesn't explain the peanut allergy, but she touches on several other (suddenly) major food allergies that many people that we know and love struggle with every day.
If you live in the U.S., you have to watch this. It's 18 minutes long, but SO worth your time.
Seriously, wow.
That's a great video, Katie. I don't think there has been a single TED video that has failed to hold my attention. We have become dramatically more active in pursuing whole foods for our own family over the past year. GMOs are some of the scariest things out there affecting our foods. Also, if you can possibly afford it and can find it near you, I'm a huge fan of farm fresh (yes, that means raw) milk now as well. The difference is astounding. I've gone from being unable to drink milk, to loving it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that--I learned a few things!
ReplyDeleteOoooh, I LOVE Ted videos! And I know what you mean about this being a new thing. I hadn't ever even HEARD of a nut allergy until I moved to London....a mere 11 years ago. I truly believe this is just a phase in our evolutions as knowledgeable human beings (remember that heroine was considered an routine part of a woman's beauty regime just 100 years ago), but I hope it's a pretty short phase because it's damn scary!
ReplyDeleteWOOOOW! I have been focusing on making conscious food decisions lately without having watched this. Now I'm even more driven to do so.
ReplyDeletevery very very interesting!
ReplyDelete(as a couple of other videos related to the one you posted.)
That was a very interesting video (as are most TED talks...)
ReplyDeleteI know so many people who roll their eyes at my vigilant label reading at the grocery store, but I think if more people were actually educated about what's in their food and WHY it's bad, I wouldn't look like such a nut.
great video, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI just realized she is the author of the book I requested at the library!
ReplyDelete