Thursday, January 27, 2011

#96 - Go to bed at 9:00 every day for a week straight

Well, I did it.  WHY it took me TWO YEARS to cross this simple task off my list of 101 Goals in 1001 Days, is beyond me.

I'm now in the habit of going to bed between 9-9:30 instead of 10-10:30 and overall, it's making me a much nicer happier person to be around.  I've figured out why this is a good thing for me, even though I'm naturally a night person:

- I've been waking up before the kids instead of waiting for the kids to wake ME up.  This is a much kinder, gentler way to start the day!
- I have a few minutes of peace and quiet to wake up slowly instead of being bombarded from the moment my mind is approaching consciousness.
- I don't waste time on the computer or watching stupid tv shows for that extra hour every night.
- There's no early afternoon decrease in energy, which is when I used to be tempted to take a nap or sit down and procrastinate things that need to be done because I'm "too tired."
- Having a 9pm bedtime created a sense of urgency.  For that week, I noticed myself rushing around to tidy the kitchen, pack lunches, throw in a load of laundry and return emails before 8:30 so I could have enough time to wind down and actually be in bed at 9:00.

I recently stumbled upon a post with quick tips on Why and How to Become a Morning Person.  If you need some motivation to become a morning person, these tips are worth a quick read!

It took me a few days to write about completing this goal, and since the last 9pm night, I've been turning off the lights around 9:15-9:30.  I like the new, earlier bedtime routine!  It's working for me.
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wow, girl! My goal is to be in bed by 10! I just can't do 9. BUT I don't have to get up as early as you do, either. One of the reasons I homeschool. *snicker*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Katie, that's awesome. I have a teen and a tween so they go to bed about 9:15 and then I try to go soon after that, never later then 10 though. I've always been a morning person, have always gotten up at 5:15 when my husband leaves for work so that I can have that hour & half of quiet time for me to read, drink my tea, check blogs and shower then it's time to get them all up. I find it's worth getting up early for "me time". I'm glad this is working for you and it's good for your health. So does Mike go to bed this early too? My husband usually falls asleep by 8:30 on the couch so I wake him when I'm going to bed.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!