Ryan: (coming out of his room after bedtime - it was a sleepover night) "Mommy, Kaylin's talking."
Me: "Are you tattling or is this a safety issue?"
Me: "Are you tattling or is this a safety issue?"
Me: "Do you realize that if I go into your room, the two of you will be separated and Kaylin will get in trouble for talking?"
Ryan: (thinking) "Um, I don't want her to get in trouble. I need to protect her because I'm her big brother."
Me: "That's right. How about you lay very still in bed and not shush her when she talks. Try ignoring her and she'll think you're asleep. That way no one gets in trouble."
Me: "That's right. How about you lay very still in bed and not shush her when she talks. Try ignoring her and she'll think you're asleep. That way no one gets in trouble."
Ryan: "That's a GREAT idea!" (I know...I'm brilliant like that...)
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Me: (to Ryan, who did something praise-worthy) "Good job, sweetie."
Kaylin: "HEEEEEEY! He's not sweetie...I'M sweetie. He's buddy."
------------------------------------
Kaylin: "HEEEEEEY! He's not sweetie...I'M sweetie. He's buddy."
------------------------------------
Ryan (singing)
Kaylin (repeats Ryan)
Ryan: "Stop copying me."
Kaylin: "Okay."
Ryan (clears throat)
Ryan (clears throat)
Kaylin (clears throat)
Ryan: "Kay-LIN. Stop copying me!"
Ryan: "Kay-LIN. Stop copying me!"
Kaylin: "Okay."
(silence)
Kaylin: "It's cloudy outside."
Ryan: "It's cloudy outside."
Kaylin: "RY-YAN! Don't copy me!"
I didn't have siblings, so this kind of torture makes no sense to me. Ryan JUST had an issue with Kaylin copying him, yet he turned around and mimicked her 2 seconds later?!!? What is that about?
------------------------------------
Ryan: "Mommy? Could you please get this hair off my forehead?"
Me: (wiping forehead of stray hair...only to notice that 20 other hairs fall from his head) "Um, Ryan? Did you cut your hair?"
Ryan: "Well, yeah. I had a hair in my face and I took your little orange scissors (my $12 scrapbooking scissors that are small, like his safety scissors) and just cut it out of my way."
Me: "Do not ever...EVER cut your hair again. There is a gap in the front now and it isn't even with the rest of your hair. Daddy will have to fix it when he gets home."
Ryan: "But the hair was in my way..."
Me: "Next time, you tell me and I'LL fix it for you. No more cutting your hair. Understood?"
Ryan: "Yeah."
Me: "Do not ever...EVER cut your hair again. There is a gap in the front now and it isn't even with the rest of your hair. Daddy will have to fix it when he gets home."
Ryan: "But the hair was in my way..."
Me: "Next time, you tell me and I'LL fix it for you. No more cutting your hair. Understood?"
Ryan: "Yeah."
Kaylin: "Mommy, you are so beautiful. But...do you love Jesus THIS much?" (stretching her arms out)
------------------------------------
Ryan: (crying) "OWWWWW! I hit my finger on the bottom of the pool!"
Me: (checking it out) "Can you bend it? It doesn't look like it's broken..."
Ryan: (whining and crying) "It really hurts!!!"
Kaylin: "Hmmm...sounds like someone is tired to me..."
(apparently, she doesn't get the difference between whining because they're overtired and whining due to pain)
------------------------------------
Kaylin: (after spending the night at my mom's house) "I missed you, Mommy. And I missed the baby, too. Can I give the baby hugs and kisses?" (lifted up my shirt and kissed my belly button, then hugged it) "I think the baby is happy now."

I wish I had written down the conversations Kiddo and I had when he was little! These are precious! (even when they are arguing with each other!)
ReplyDeleteI must tell you one of our overheard conversations:
ReplyDeleteLast week we went to a church picnic at a big outdoor pavilion with a little lake. After the picnic, we had baptisms. There were about 8 people and a wide range of ages. The pastor would call the name and the person and their family would walk to the water's edge. Then the baptisee (is that a word) would walk into the water. After the 5th person was called, Sophie says: "If they call my name, I will go." It was a precious moment. But, it gets better. When it was all over, Sophie replies: "Mommy, they never called me. Was I naughty?" Mommy: "No, Sophie. It just isn't your turn yet." Sophie: "But, I know Jesus, He's my friend and I like Him a whole lot." Mommy: "When you get older and choose to believe all that Jesus did for you, you can be baptized in front of everybody." Sophie thinks about this for awhile and then rolling her eyes and throwing one hand in the air and the other on her hip, says: "Whatever, Mommy. Sometimes I just don't know what your talking about." With that she went off the play with a friend!