I posted about this recipe last year, but it's so good that it has to be shared again. I wanted something that I could make the night before and just stick in the oven for the Mother's Day brunch we have for our parents each year. I got the recipe from the Cooking Light website, so you know it's healthier than some similar recipes, but still AMAZING and full of flavor. I always look for the french bread loaves on the day-old rack at the grocery store and freeze them specifically for french toast. Thicker bread makes a HUGE difference!
Orange-Pecan French Toast Casserole
1 cup packed brown sugar (you could use less)
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
Cooking spray
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 Tbs granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
12 (1-inch-thick) slices French bread (or however many will fit in your baking dish)
- Combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over sugar mixture.
- Combine rind and next 7 ingredients (rind through eggs); stir with a whisk. Arrange bread slices over pecans in dish; pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight.
1 cup packed brown sugar (you could use less)
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup

Cooking spray
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 Tbs granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
12 (1-inch-thick) slices French bread (or however many will fit in your baking dish)
- Combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup; pour into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over sugar mixture.
- Combine rind and next 7 ingredients (rind through eggs); stir with a whisk. Arrange bread slices over pecans in dish; pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or up to overnight.
--------------------------------------------------
- In the morning, carefully turn bread slices over to absorb excess egg mixture. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- In the morning, carefully turn bread slices over to absorb excess egg mixture. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
The Happy Housewife has a Hot Breakfast Challenge going on right now. She has me convinced that I'm over-spending on breakfast by doing cereal most days. Check out some other hot breakfast recipes on her site here.
OMG! This looks heavenly! I'll have to add it to my files. Mmmm! Thx! :)
ReplyDeleteI've been on a baked french toast kick lately. This one's definitely going on my list. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI found your blog a couple of months ago, and I just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed it! I particularly like the recipes you post. I made the guilt free muffins two days ago and I love them. AMAZINGLY, my hubby does too, and anything that breaks him from cinnamon toast crunch is a keeper in our house. Thanks again :)
ReplyDeleteHi Ashley! I'm so glad you liked the muffins and enjoy the recipes I post. Nice to "meet" you!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, wow! This sounds delish!
ReplyDeleteYay, another 'decadent' recipe that is simple to make. Sounds wonderful - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI think I have had this before at a brunch, it is soooo good! Thanks for joining the challenge!
ReplyDeleteToni
Oh. My.
ReplyDeleteThis is going on my next shopping list. I have some french bread in the freezer but it has spices on top of it that I don't really think would go well with sugar and cinnamon. : )