The idea of a Cookie Exchange is to make a certain number of cookies (say, 6 dozen of the same variety) and go home from the exchange with 6 dozen different kinds of cookies; 1 dozen of 6 different recipes. This is great to do right before having family in
town or if you're throwing a Christmas party. It's easier to triple the recipe for one kind of cookie and make sheet after sheet after sheet of them. But it's much more fun to serve a variety of treats to your guests.
A warning about Cookie Exchanges: beware of inviting your non-baking friends! I attended one party where I baked dozens of amazing cookies and received back a bag of 12 tiny pieces of peanut brittle from one friend and 12 - count 'em only twelve - pretzel hugs from another. I gave her 12 cookies, she gave me 12 mini-pretzels. I can pop 12 chocolate-covered pretzels in my mouth before you're done reading this post! Come on, people!!! Then there was the year one of the participants baked 12 scones. Not 12 per person, just 12, so each of the 6 of us got TWO. The math doesn't always add up (I baked 72 cookies and got back 60 cookies and 2 scones...she baked 12 scones and left with 72 cookies???) - just know that things like that will likely happen, unless all of your friends are Martha Stewart wanna-be's.
Okay, now that I've gotten my Cookie Exchange trauma stories off my chest, I'll stop complaining.
Back to the challenge: consider planning a Cookie Exchange with some friends or neighbors this year. Pick a date, call some ladies and enjoy coffee, Christmas music and conversation for a couple of hours some Sunday afternoon.
THE BEST fluffy, soft, thick Sugar Cookies
1 ½ c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1 c. milk
4 ½ c. flour
1 ¼ t. baking soda
4 t. baking powder
(yes, that's right...FOUR teaspoons!)
Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugar, butter and egg. Mix dry ingredients, then add them to the wet mixture. Add milk and vanilla. Roll out the dough pretty thick - about half an inch. The key is to roll out the dough with lots of flour (at the beginning, I usually even have to flour my rolling pin between each roll…the dough can get pretty gooey - expect for your hands to be coated with flour), cut with your shapes using cookie cutters, lay the cookies about an inch apart on a parchment lined baking sheet (they grow and rise in the oven) and bake 8-10 minutes. Store in a tightly sealed container.
2 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
½ t. vanilla
1-2 T. milk
Do you have a favorite cookie recipe? Come on. Please share...your grandmother will never know. You can leave a comment or participate in an online recipe exchange at Jon and Tom's Place: here.

ok are we the same person becasue i was so going to post on a cookie exchange today lol! i tend to like a thin crispy cookie with jus a little chewy but for a sugar cookie it has to have some softness. lovign your countdown to christmas posts!
ReplyDeletemy sweet friend - i love to cook, and i love to bake. but while you bake a lot in december, i ABSOLUTELY DO NOT bake in december. i even "regretfully decline" cookie exchange invitations in december! i don't have time to bake six dozen cookies...i also don't need to have six dozen cookies in my possession for any length of time - i know my level of (or lack of) self-control. :o) instead of doing a cookie exchange, i host a brunch at my house on the first saturday in december from 9-11 a.m. to provide fellowship opportunities (without cookies). each lady brings an item, and i provide a clean house, beverages, plates and silverware (or plasticware!). for those of you who are like me and "anti-baking" in december, i hope this provides you with some encouragement. :o)
ReplyDeleteI love the pretzel and scone story- that's funny!! Please include me in any cookie exchange you plan or attend- I promise to bake real cookies and the number specified.
ReplyDeleteMy favoite- Paradise bakery doesn't count, right? :)
Well then, I love 7 layer magic bars, pb blossoms, and peanut butter & chocolate cookie cups. Oh, let the baking begin- let's do it! When'z the exchange? : )
That sounds like so much fun! December is usually sooooo busy for us, but I would really like to try to get one of these organized!
ReplyDeleteThose sugar cookies sound like what my Mimmie and Grandaddy called "Tea cakes." I looooove tea cakes! I will have to make some now! : )
We do a cookie exchange every year, and one of our rules is that everything MUST be home baked! We had a friend bring Oreos the first year, and definitely learned our lesson. Even my husband gets involved. He bakes his "famous", "award-winning" Chocolate Cherry Cookies. I must admit, they are super tasty, but he has given them the titles.
ReplyDeleteI also wanted to say that your red-head is adorable! I have one as well, and I'm always amazed by how many people stop me and comment on her hair!
You are too funny, but am right there with you. If I made cookies and got mini pretzels, I would be sad.
ReplyDeleteSo you're in on the 5 am club?
Okay...one of my favorites...sounds weird, but it is great...
ReplyDeleteLemon Cookies
1 Box lemon cake mix
2 Cups cool whip
1 egg
powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350, mix cake mix, cool whip and egg until incorporated...mix will be very sticky...and then drop tablespoons full of dough into small dish wish powdered sugar. Roll the dough in the sugar (will make balls - but no perfectly round or anything...so just go with it!)...and place on cookie sheet or baking stone. (Baking stones work best, or if you do metal sheets use parchment to keep from sticking.)
Bake for 10 - 14 minutes depending on your oven - until edges are slightly done. You don't want to burn these...they are best when super duper chewy!
People always rave over these! (I have also tried them with other flavors of cake mixes...but lemon is the best!)
Good luck...
The Maid
PS - I'm with you...a good cookie exchange must be homebaked and totally "special" not your everyday stupid choc chip cookies! LOL
What time should I be there? LOL
Okay I said "wish" instead of "with"...
ReplyDeletesorry...fingers went crazy.
So funny that you mention this. We do a cookie exchange every year with my book club. I am also organizing one with some Moms from my Mom's group here in Anthem. Ohhh, how I love cookie exchanges! Mmmmm....
ReplyDeleteI am having a cookie swap party in a couple of weeks. It will be my first one but I am super excited about it. Thanks for the recipe!
ReplyDeleteKatie...
ReplyDeleteThanks for participating with us today!! This cookie recipe sounds like one I might give a try!! I gave up on the crunchy sugar cookies...and this sounds GREAT!!!
~Blessings,
Jan
ps...visit any time!! Love to see you!!
Your recipe looks absolutely wonderful, Katie! I can't wait to try it!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas...Kathy