Saturday, April 26, 2008

Simplicity

Aahhhh...that word just brings a smile to my face. I love simplicity. In planning, in decorating, in organizing my home, in all areas of my life. Do you ever notice how too many choices often complicates things? Unless you know exactly what you're looking for and can't find it among the gazillion choices out there. (like the jeans that fit "just right," the perfect black skirt, the Hallmark card that says what you're feeling) I haven't always been intentional about simplicity. Just since I've had kids, I think. Maybe because baby stuff takes up SO MUCH SPACE and overtook our first house. -?- I can't pinpoint a specific time, but around then sounds about right.

I've noticed that sometimes my desire for simplicity interferes with the thoughtfulness of others. For example, my aunt saved all of my cousin's toys over the years. A couple of years ago, she brought them all over for Ryan...6 huge storage bins full of toys, another bin full of Happy Meal prizes, a bag of movies and several of those huge Rescue Heroes commando-station things that took up a whole closet. I looked at the piles of stuff stacked 3 feet high and immediately wanted to call Good Will to schedule a pick up! I did end up giving most of it away, with her permission. I just couldn't deal with the cluttered feeling of it all.

Another example is gifts: for Ryan's birthday parties, I've always asked people (grandparents excluded) not to bring gifts. Up until this point, I don't think he's noticed. I wanted everyone to come without feeling obligated and besides, we have plenty of toys and "stuff." This year, I've decided that my selfish desire to keep the house uncluttered will be stifled. Ryan has been to enough birthday parties this year to finally "get" that birthdays = cake and presents. It was nice while it lasted! Plus, last year no one listened to me and he got a bunch of gifts anyway. I guess the suggestion was too unconventional for the majority.

When I think of the movies and shows from 50, 60, 70 years ago...times seemed so simple. I'm not stupid enough to believe that it was June Cleaver perfect all the time; I realize there are different issues in each generation. But think about it: little technology, no video games, limited t.v., the kids went outside to play, ride their bikes, skip rocks and they used their imaginations, (do you hear the theme music starting in the background?)...I know I sound like a dork, but I seriously love the simplicity of it all.

What is life going to be like 30 years from now? If we (me included) can justify young kids having cell phones and playing Leap Frog and Vtech video games to help them learn to add and read, I can't imagine what things will be like for our grandkids. Okay, I'm starting to sound like my grandmother....

I want my kids to grow up appreciating the little things, hopefully being low-maintenance and not needing to be entertained all the time. When the time comes, I pray that I stick to my guns and won't get each child over-involved in this sport and that hobby and all of the different activities that suck time out of the lives of so many families today. And on that note, I'm learning that kid-sports are nuts! I've heard of several friends with 2-3 kids (who consciously limit their child to one sport each) are going nuts carpooling to 2 practices a week plus a game, stressing over being the team mom and snack mom and are still go-go-go. I think the toddler years are tough, but I forget that sports and homework and heartbreak because "I wasn't invited to Johnny's birthday party" are all right around the corner. My ideal, simplistic lifestyle could be a thing of the past.

For now, I have a tendency to steer my kids away from the t.v. and send them outside (while the weather is still bearable). I love when they play their versions of Hide and Go Seek, Ring Around the Rosie and chase each other all over the yard or the house. I find myself a little surprised when they actually enjoy themselves for more than 5 minutes doing a simple craft or activity. And I get a little giddy inside when the play room goes untouched for a whole day...that indicates that we've had a "simple" day. As the days get warmer and we're starting to use the pool, I look forward to enjoying the simple pleasures of summer. I just love simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Katie, how I love that word "simplicity." Not only for the way it sounds and feels in my mouth when I say it, but for all that it implies. It's a magical word. And I definitely need more of it in my life. I feel like I need to go clean out a closet or something now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!