Sunday, December 23, 2007

Fairwell for now, old toys

For the last 3 years, I have vowed that the best way to keep things uncluttered and the kids interested in their toys is to rotate toys and books periodically. And after 3 years of putting it off, I finally did it today! You see, I know what's coming on Tuesday. I gave out the wishlists and have heard some mutters about purchases and I know that our families have gone overboard in the buying department. My kids don't need new stuff. We're really blessed in that department, but in reality, I need to help them appreciate the stuff they DO have. And that is why I have temporarily taken it away.
Tonight I gathered up most of the big toys, specifically the noisy ones, and boxed them up to put in Ryan's closet. What's great is that in a few months when all of the Christmas gifts start seeming like old news, I can rotate in their old favorites. This is a genious concept and one that I've heard about many times...why have I not done this before now???
Oh, and an update: I broke down and bought the parrot. When it's the ONLY thing on a kid's Christmas list, what's a mom to do? Ryan's going to flip when he sees it. I'll have the video camera charged and standing by, ready to roll. I can hardly wait for Christmas morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!