Friday, January 17, 2014

#67 - Find an age-appropriate book/series that Ryan enjoys reading for fun

I think I can (and should) cross #67 off my 101 in 1001 list. When I added it last year, I was concerned that the only series Ryan would read on his own was Junie B. Jones - which is geared toward 1st graders. For some reason, he gets sucked in and won't put them down. 

I've tried to encourage Ryan to get into books that 4th graders should be reading…perhaps books without pictures? It seems I've thrown everything at him from classics like Huck Finn to new favorites  like Harry Potter, but I was forcing him to read stories that didn't captivate him and he was beginning to hate reading

So last week when I caught him (several times) choosing to read his Diary of a Wimpy Kid book instead of playing on the beach, it occurred to me that he has officially found a more age-appropriate series that he enjoys reading for fun. There are still pictures and the storyline isn't one I'd intentionally choose, but if I want him to love reading, he needs to love the content. 
He read through this book not once on our vacation...
…but twice. He picked it up every chance he could!
post signature

1 comment:

HeatherH said...

So true and so important! I am so grateful that my boys have such a love of reading. One of my boys has a series that he follows, and gets so anxious for the next book to come out! I love that, and I find it is such a blessing and an important life skill :-) Good to see your cutie loving to read!

Related Posts with Thumbnails