Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ready for my close up...


Yesterday was the biggest day we've had around here in a long time. In between volunteering in Ryan's class and taking the kids out for their individual annual date nights, we were filmed by our local Fox News station for an upcoming segment on bullying.

Those of you who have been reading for a while may remember last September when Ryan was getting picked on by another kid at school. We enrolled him in a Bully Prevention Class at a Tae Kwon Do studio that was really helpful in helping us guide Ryan in his responses to this little boy. (and others who may try picking on him in the future) Last week, the owner of the Tae Kwon Do school called to ask if we'd be willing to speak to Fox regarding Ryan's experience.

A reporter came with a cameraman and spoke with us casually about the situation. Fortunately and unfortunately, Ryan's memory of the whole thing is pretty foggy, so he wasn't able to answer many questions, but as a mom, I'm glad he's replaced the bad memories with better ones! All he remembers at this point is that the little boy laughed at him once. In fact, when I was recounting the story to the reporter, Ryan interrupted saying, "That's not what happened!" a couple of times, so I'm curious to see (if) how they edit that out!

They wanted some extra footage of us doing something as a family, so since Mike's mom was in the playroom (PS - the only room downstairs that I hadn't picked up!) doing Play Doh with Kaylin, we just relocated in there to hang out for a few minutes. That was the point where I mustered up the guts to explain to the crew that I do this "picture of the day" project, I know it seems silly, but I'm going to have my MIL take a few pictures, blah blah blah. The reporter ended up having a similar camera to ours, so he offered to take some shots for us and they turned out really well!

What's funny is that the cameraman seemed surprised when I mentioned that this POD would be the most exciting of the year. He's obviously desensitized to the fact that this will likely be the only time in my life our family will be on t.v. So yeah - this is a pretty big deal!

They even offered to take a few pictures by their truck with the Fox logo and all. The cameraman gave Ryan a microphone and pretended to film him interviewing Jason - it was too cute.


If you're in Phoenix, we found out that we're going to be aired on Thursday, February 25th on the 9pm news. Set your DVR to watch me make a fool out of myself - laughing at others is fun for the whole family! ;)
post signature

5 comments:

SnoWhite said...

what fun! I'm glad your story and experiences are being used to encourage others!

DutchMac said...

Looks like fun! Be sure to let me know when it airs and a link so maybe I can see it.

Brooke said...

This is AWESOME! Please share when it airs. I can't wait to see you guys on TV!

Carrie said...

That's so cool!

Katie, have you ever thought of doing an "Ask Katie" kind of column/blog? There's a lot of times when I'm doing something and I think, "What would Katie do?" You have a lot of good advice to share! Just wondering!

HeathahLee said...

You know, I bet we can find that segment online after it airs! I WILL be looking for it!

Ryan "interviewing" Jason is SO cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails