Not long ago, I had one USB cord. Now suddenly, I seem to have seven. One for my old Olympus camera (that I still use when I'm on the go), one for the new Canon, one for the kids' camera, one for the Leapster game...everything that has an option to download something to the computer has a cord. Seven cords with different plug ends. Ridiculous!
.
They used to be in a pile on the floor, until I participated in the Spring Cleaning Party. Now they're in a neat little basket above my monitor.
.
That worked at containing the problem, but the cords quickly began to tangle and I'd need to try one or two cords before finding the right one with the correct adapter for what I needed to download. That's when it hit me: I could LABEL THEM! Yes, I have a handy, dandy label maker, but masking tape and a marker would work just fine, too.
I've also bundled the cords so they're not as long and don't tangle in the basket. My mom taught me this trick with lamp cords. Now I bundle the slack on every cord I can - it looks nicer and there's less risk of kids/pets/husbands getting tangled in the slack.
I mentioned this during the Spring Cleaning Party posts, but I also took the time to label my rechargeable battery cords. This has saved me TONS of headaches - they all looked the same to me!
Now when I go to grab a cord, I look at the labels first. This also works for all of the cords coming out of the back of your computer. I have several of the cords back there labeled, so when I'm problem solving or replacing something, I don't accidentally unplug the wrong cord. So go...label some cords to save yourself some time!



That is a GREAT idea! Yeah, my cords are starting to add up, too. The basket is cute, too!
ReplyDelete