I borrowed Eat This, Not That from a friend recently and found some of the information very surprising. And when I get caught off guard, you know I have to share it! (BTW, they also have a Eat This, Not That for Kids and a Supermarket Survival Guide, if your interest is peaked, too.)
Okay, I'm going to share some of the shockers that apply to mistakes I might make:
- Cinnabon Classic Cinnamon Rolls have 813 calories and 32 g. of fat. 150 more calories than a Whopper! The price scares me away from those things every time, but they smell up the entire mall...they call to me...
- If you substitute BBQ sauce for mayo on a Burker King Whopper, you save 17 grams of fat. I'll just go without either, thankyouverymuch!
- By choosing a burrito bowl without rice at Chipotle instead of a traditional burrito, you'll save 500 calories and 83 grams of carbs. Just from eliminating the tortilla and the rice! WHOA.
- A large Blizzard has 6 grams of trans fat.
- Krispy Kreme donuts, however, have 0 trans fats. But the Glazed Blueberry Cake Doughnut has 330 calories, 17 g. fat and 28 g. sugar while the Whole Wheat Glazed Donut has 180 calories, 11 g. fat and only 10 g. sugar. (Ha! I said, "only," but in comparison - !)
- Ruby Tuesdays' Turkey Burger with fries has 1171 calories and 58 g. of fat. (FYI: ground turkey isn't always healthier...make sure it's lean! I learned that one the hard way.)
- The whipped cream on your drink at Starbucks adds 70 calories and 7 grams of fat.
- Wendys' Chicken BLT salad has as much fat as 15 chicken nuggets, mostly due to the honey mustard dressing. If you get the low-fat version, you'll cut 20 grams of fat.
Do you know what I got from reading all of this? I need to continue eating at home. We rarely eat out for financial reasons, but who knows what I'd weigh if that weren't an issue! Restaurants add so much unnecessary junk to their food to make it extra irresistible. When we cook at home, we know exactly what's in our meals.
Eat. At. Home. That's my lecture for the day.

Amen!
ReplyDeleteMy mother in law got me the Kids Version and it was very interesting. What was surprising was that the things I would think would be somewhat healthy were terrible!! Another reason to stop eating out!! That and the screaming kids that accompany us wherever we go :)
ReplyDeleteUgh! We have eaten out so much this past month I'm sick of it. We've been so busy, but I'm hoping things will slow down now. We'll have to, since my Mom will be up here with us for a while. I'll need to watch my carbs and stuff since she's a diabetic. I'll check this out from the library.
ReplyDeleteConsider me disturbed. Am I surprised? A little... but not entirely. Thanks for enlightening! Thanks for lending the book, it's coming with on our beach run next week. :)
ReplyDeleteI love that book, I have had both of them for a while. Since dieting for my figure shows and learning about all the crap in our food, I rarely go down the aisles at the grocery store to buy food, but bring my book with me if I do. Chips or crackers are only for get togethers and snacks for the kids are fruits and veggies. Some organic snacks are ok. Very interesting...and scary though, isnt it!
ReplyDelete