Friday, April 24, 2009

Kids in a Box

For some reason, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Full of energy, got dressed right into my workout clothes, but in a foul mood. I decided to try to dust and clean a bathroom or two before we headed to the gym, since I needed to distract myself and I figured I'll be wiped out and need a nap after the gym.

I've kept the t.v. off the last few days for the TV Turnoff Week challenge. The kids have done fine (Ryan took some time to adjust to not flipping on a show at the first sign of boredom), but I was curious how they'd do while I was cleaning. A quick cartoon or a short movie usually gets me quite far with my chores.

While cleaning the kids' bathroom, I heard giggling. After a little searching, this is what I found: both kids in costume (Spiderman and a Ballerina with a lovely purple hat) inside the "blanket chest" at the foot of my bed, protecting my bedroom from bad guys with Styrofoam swords....


A few minutes later, I moved on to cleaning my own bathroom and the kids were no where to be found, but I heard whispering...


Then I saw little eyes peeking out of the lid...


I will be the first to admit that I've let my kids watch WAY too much t.v. since my pregnancy exhaustion has taken over my life. This week has reminded me why the t.v. needs to stay off during the day. Which would YOU have more fun doing as a child? Staring blankly at a television screen or fending off evil, pretend bad guys with your sibling? Yeah, me too. The t.v.'s staying off.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with the ditching of the Electronic Babysitter, but it can be so hard, can't it? Especially when there's only one child ... I always enforce the 'no tv' rule when LC has friends over, but when it's just him and me all day ..... it can be tough!

    So glad your two can entertain each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you a little Love Award, if you choose to accept.

    Your kids are so sweet. Don't you love imaginations?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be a dork, I had never heard of "television off week."

    We normally don't watch a lot here (which is good). The kids will watch Little Einstein's on Disney.

    I love how imaginative your kids are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have kids, but I have lots of memories of imaginary people chasing my brother and me and the other games we made up together---great memories to have for the rest of your life to make you smile. You're doing great, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so precious! I wish Kiddo had a sibling to play with!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!