I remember when Ryan was two and I used to take him on walks in the stroller. A girlfriend with a daughter the same age would call me from her cell phone across town while she was walking with her stroller. She could talk on the phone uninterrupted, and when we hung up, she listened to her ipod. Not me. I don't think I've gotten away with that since Ryan's first birthday. He's constantly talking and asking about things on our walks as I huff and puff away, pushing the stroller with (now) 70+ pounds of kids in it.
Half of you who read this will think I'm a horrible mother for complaining about such petty things, but I'm sure the other half of you will nod along in sympathy. And for those of you who know me in real life are personally invited to ZIP IT if you're thinking of some cleaver comment like, "I wonder why he talks so much? It's a mystery - I wonder where he gets it from???"
Ryan: "Oh. Um, no."
Me: "Yes?"
Ryan: "The next time we go to the zoo, can I feed the tigers?"
Me: "No, they don't let you feed tigers. They get angry when they eat and would probably bite you."
Ryan: "Well, um...no. I'll save it."
Me: "Do you realize that this is your second question?"
Me: "Because the car in front of me slowed down and I didn't want to run into him."
Ryan: (singing) "SommmeWHERE ov-er the toot-toot!"
Me: "Ryan, don't use potty language."
Ryan: "Language?"
Me: "Potty words. Don't use potty words."
Ryan: "What's language?"
Me: "No more questions."
Ryan: "Why did you roll your window down?"
Me: "Please stop asking me questions, Ryan."
(Ryan sighed)
Me: (silence)
Ryan: "Kaylin, a restaurant is where you rest when you're eating."
Kaylin: "Yeah and Daddy is going to be taking a nap when we get there because he is VERY tired."
That conversation took place over the course of about two miles. And it is very typical of the dialog we have when we drive. This example was just 2 minutes of the 10 minute travel time to get to our destination.
I wish I could remember to institute the 3 question rule every time we get in the car. Not that I want to discourage my kids from asking questions - I know that inquiring about certain things will make them smart - but I just can't handle the interrogation every time we get in the car, every time we sit down to a meal, every time we watch a movie, pretty much every time we are both conscious and in the same room together. It's maddening.
After dinner, the kids wanted to ride home with Mike. Is it wrong that I was elated?

First of all... You are NOT a bad mother ~ Who doesn't enjoy some peace and quiet from time to time??? I have thought of a solution for you ~ at least while you are in the car... you need to get either a DVD player for the backseat OR a LIMO ~ let me explain~ If you get the DVD player, YOU control when it goes on! I am not saying for EVERY 2 mile trip you HAVE to have it on, but on days when you are feeling more irritated, put it on ~ (another good trick is to keep a VERY SPECIAL movie in the car) that is for "car trips" only ~ it makes it even better... Seriously, you will not believe just how quiet it gets in there!!! Or the other option is a LIMO and then you could just roll up that cool center window~ see how helpful I am!!! Have a great day! :) Tiffany
ReplyDeleteMusic is always a good remedy for that. No talking when the music is on, or something similiar. They have great kids CD's that the kiddos interact with (BINGO, Itsy Bitsy Spider etc.) Maybe they are bored? Just a thought?
ReplyDeleteI am cracking up at those questions!
ReplyDeleteThank you for making me less parinoid about the fact that my son hasn't said any words yet and is almost 18 months old! He may start talking and never stop!
I like when we take two separate cars to church (hubby goes straight from work so we meet there)...and when it is time to go home...I. Get. The. Empty. Car.
ReplyDeleteSigh. That is all I want. Just a quiet drive home with MY station, MY music, MY thoughts...and MY choices...to maybe even have NO radio. Ahhh, sweet silence.
Just for a little while...when I get home, I will revel in the chaos that makes me feel normal...but those quiet rides, well, I revel in them! :)
I feel ya sister...privacy glass...that is my next car's first luxury. ;)
:) Hang in there, and not to be cliche', but my friend's sister just lost a 3 week old baby...so know that this is just a season and it will pass...and that you are so blessed with each and every question. :)
Love ya girlie...
The Maid
Not even joking...my word verification was "blessin"
You are too funny. Last year or maybe it was two years ago when I met Steve in San Fran I was so excited to be on a Plane all by myself. All that quiet. Time to read without interruption. I actually could finish complete thoughts. Too bad it was such a short flight.=] Have you ever tried kids audio books. My kiddos love them.
ReplyDelete