Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oh Happy Day!

It's been pretty frustrating lately being sick and tired, and on top of that getting a head cold/allergies, then last night my eye was bright red and goopey - probably pink eye. I'm slowly falling apart...

But this morning, I am a new woman!

First, I should start by saying that because this pregnancy was a surprise, we didn't have maternity insurance. I've been calling and researching and getting recommendations for how to deliver this baby with the least expense possible. Having a hospital birth runs at least $10,000, if you're a cash patient. And that's WITH the discounts. (Did you know the anesthesiologist gets paid anywhere from $1500-3500, depending on how long he has to hang around the hospital to monitor the epidural???) We have a savings account and could go that route, but with the upcoming purchase of a minivan, we were not excited about dropping $10,000 like that.

It only seemed logical to continue my research into doing a home birth. As natural as I like to think I am, I must admit that a home birth did not appeal to me. We tend to use medication in our house as a last resort, preferring to let our bodies get rid of viruses on their own and taking care of things homeopathically. But when it comes to the pain of childbirth: drug...me...up. I was a wimp and couldn't handle the pain of contractions when I was merely 2 cm dialated...I can't imagine breathing my way through another 8 cm!

Regardless, a home birth was going to cost about $3000. Was the pain worth $7000? Ugh, yes it was, but I was scared to death. I know many people who have used midwives and doulas both at home and in the hospital. I heard their stories and was amazingly unphased by the romantic, comfortable, all-natural experiences they each had. I was strictly doing this to save money. I further talked myself into it by realizing that women have been having home births for thousands of years and hospital births only became common, like, 50-60 years ago. Women were made to have babies. I am woman, hear me roar. (Do you hear the excitement in my voice? No? Because it's not there.)

As I was doing all of my research to present to my over-analytical Accountant husband, he was busy on his end petitioning to apply for his company's insurance during open enrollment in July. Yes, yes, I know I'm pregnant and that it's a pre-existing condition. I thought his efforts were futile, too.

Until they accepted us. Starting April 1st, even! What are they, nuts? I don't really care. All I know is that we're insured and even though we'll be paying $500+/month for coverage (that's just for the two of us, the kids will still be under a different carrier), it will work out to be less than half the cost of a cash-payment hospital birth. So I get to be drugged up in a hospital, just like I wanted! WOO HOO! (if you're one of my natural friends who gave me wonderful advice and council, please don't be sad...when push comes to shove, I am just too chicken to have a home birth)

Okay, so this gets better. A guy in our Bible study is a chiropractor and has been seeing me for free to work on an issue with my shoulder. With my new insurance, he's going to start getting paid - I am so excited that his kindness will be rewarded for the next 8 months! But that's not the best part. Apparently, he's a preferred provider for my health insurance carrier and along with my adjustments, I will get to have FREE pregnancy massages!!! I can't tell you how beyond excited I am about this. I am one who LOVES to be pampered with massages and pedicures, yet rarely get to do either because of our strict budget.

I am on cloud 9. With my goopey red eye, sniffley Rudolf nose and overtired, queasy stomach pains, I have something to look forward to in the short term. My first massage is scheduled in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

9 comments:

  1. congrats Katie! insurance is a good thing! As natural as I am... I almost died in childbirth, without "feeling bad" at all. If I would have been doing a home birth, it would not have been good.

    Who is your chiropractor?? I must find one that takes my insurance!

    Congrats on your little bean as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a person who panics...by nature. I'm so glad your post ended the way it did because when I first started I could feel myself having a panic attack for you! I don't think I would have been able to choose a home birth with no drugs. My poor husband simply would've had to find a way. But I applaud you for even considering it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy for you! I'm glad his insurance let you get the maternity added on. I think most will allow that now...I heard somewhere pregnancy can no longer be considered a pre-existing. I sure wouldn't want to face a delivery with no drugs! : )

    I know the burden of not having insurance. When Sound Man was without work for several months, I was scared one of us was going to end up in the hospital with no insurance! We had 20 days to go before being added onto his new job's policy, when what should I do but knock my hand through a window and have to go to the ER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I gotta say is Ain't. No. Way.
    Oh my goodness...you had me totally scared that you were actually going to have to endure the feelings of natural child birth.
    I am so glad to hear that your insurance will kick in and you will be pushing that kid out drugged up and all.
    Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, for pregnancy massages! Is Shane your chiro? Since CCV is such a small world, I am betting he is! Be sure to have Monica do your massages she is the BEST. My monthly then weekly massages from her were the favorite part of my pregnancy!! BTW, I was super gung-ho for the natural thing. I got to the hospital dilated to 9 (no drugs) and still had a c-section. We both could have been in trouble. I am so happy you get to go to the hospital!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES Jackie, my chiro is Shane! I'll make sure my appt is with Monica. Thanks for the tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must see Shane McCall. The pregnancy massages are pretty great. I am so HAPPY that everything is working out for you and that you will have the reassurance that should you need pain medicine, it will be there. And your baby will be in safe hands too. Way to go God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you! I would be pretty scared if I thought I couldn't go to the hospital to give birth. I have done it twice and couldn't take the back labor either time. I was sooo happy to see the anesthesiologist both times and I can't imagine a third birth experience that doesn't include him!
    Congrats! (kudos on the free massages too) Hope your eye gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so glad it worked out! most insurance companies now do not consider pregnancy a pre-exisiting anymore which is such a blessing! glad to hear you are getting your drugs =)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!