Monday, December 1, 2008

72% Grocery Savings

I had another major grocery savings tonight. Not a 78% savings like a few weeks ago, but almost as good! All of this for $19.


On our drive home, Mike asked me what I'm doing differently than I did back when he was working? It's a couple of things, really. The most helpful thing is that our nearest store is quadrupling coupons and accepting competitor's coupons. It's a one stop shop. The other thing is that I'm not taking the little 25 cent coupons for granted anymore. Because I spent so many months shopping at Walmart because they price matched, I used to ignore the 25 cent coupons (because they don't double them at Walmart). But now I clip all those little ones.

And it's a good thing I did! See all the toilet paper in the picture? 20 rolls...all FREE. The paper towels? Free. Both were 99 cents and I had a 25 cent coupon for each, which were quadrupled, so free free free. Not the plush, high quality toilet paper, but who cares? It was FREE!

The sugars were only 50 cents after coupons and I'll go through those easily this month with all the baking I do during the holidays. The rolls were also 50 cents after coupons. The lettuce was free. The milk and eggs were $1 each. What really drove the total price of the bill up was the tortilla chips (that we need for a pot luck tomorrow night) and the 2 things of ice cream that Mike bought for $4 each. That's actually why we went to the store in the first place. Eating my homemade apple pie without ice cream was killing him. (I've created a dessert snob) Before we left, I printed a competitor's $6 off $30 purchase coupon from The Good Deal Gal's blog and decided to walk around to see what other deals I could find to charge up to $30.

So is anyone else out there saving big money manipulating the coupon and store sales? If you're overwhelmed with the potential complexity of it all, read about how I keep myself organized in this post.

What am I doing up at midnight for the second night in a row??? I wrapped all of our Christmas presents and somehow got lured onto my computer before turning in for the night. How do I let this happen? Off to bed for me...

7 comments:

  1. Well, I am super impressed. I used to be an avid coupon mom junkie, with deals like that. But then we were placed w/ a 2 year old foster boy ... and well, I stopped. My husband is getting laid off in 3 weeks, so I really need to get back on track! Your post is encouraging {and guilting me a bit, reminding me of all that extra money I've been spending!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey- good job! Quick question. I thought I read that you only get one paper which means one set of coupons. How did you score 2 things of sugar? Maybe I missed a coupon... or maybe my memory is failing me and you get two sets of coupons. That's very possible- my memory failing I mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!! And a tad jealous, too! I've been trying to get myself back on track with the coupons, and am getting there! I was kicking myself for not clipping the toilet paper coupon that you used because our store had the rolls 10/$10, so they would have been $.50 each. None of our stores more than double coupons. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that is awesome! here no one doubles coupons it makes me sick! but we are supposed to be getting a CVS this summer i think! i cant wait

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I tell you with the most sincere love and affection that reading your blog makes me feel like crap?? I cannot believe how freaky organized and crafty and frugal and Christmasy and beautiful you are. If I didn't completely love and adore you I would be filled with jealousy, malice and contempt. Instead, I respect, awe and esteem you and your coupon-cutting, cookie baking, gift-wrapping heart!!!xoxoxo You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! I try really hard to save money at the store, but I guess I'm just not in the right frame of mind yet. I'm clipping and watching sales, but I still find things that I need that don't have any savings related to them...

    As for the "reactions" you sign in and click on "layout". In the big box that says "blog posts" click "edit". Then you just click on the button marked "reactions". It's that easy!

    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! (Can I say that again?) WOW! You are WAY awesome!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment . . . Now I'm off to read that little link of yours to see if I can get some of your frugalness to rub off on me. ;)

    Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, so keep 'em coming! Just be sure to be respectful. Discussions are welcome, but remember to be nice. Thanks!