Thursday, November 13, 2008

Making my Home a Haven

Ladies, thank you SO MUCH for your comments, emails and phone calls yesterday. I felt so much love and encouragement - I am so blessed by your friendships!

Last night, I brought the kids to a neighbor friend's house and Mike and I finally got to talk. It didn't begin well, but it ended with us reconnecting and coming to some temporary resolutions. My mantra through the whole conversation was "I want us to have a grace-based family who are genuinely happy." Although everything isn't perfect or completely settled, I finally feel better about where we are as a family. We're on the right track again.

And it was just in time for Mike's birthday today. Hopefully, he'll feel special after having a whole weekend of recognition. I made him eggs and hash browns for breakfast (hash browns aren't nearly as difficult as I once thought!) and a turkey panini for lunch. After naps, the kids are making him a card and we're going to blow up a bunch of balloons to put in the hallway and kitchen for when he comes home from work as a surprise. Tonight, we'll have chocolate chip cookies for dessert and wait to do cake until tomorrow night. We're also "camping" in our living room tomorrow night as a treat for both Mike and the kids. Saturday, we'll celebrate with Mike's brother and parents and Sunday we'll celebrate with my mom.

Moving on, somehow, Biblical Womanhood's new posts aren't showing up on my blogroll anymore, so I've missed a bunch of her new posts. Reading back a few days, I stumbled upon this challenge from The Homespun Heart. Who doesn't WANT their home to be a haven? A place where your spouse yearns to return at the end of the day? A place your kids want to invite friends to play? A place that others want to congregate?

I'm the Hospitality Queen (no need to bow or curtsy), so this idea has always been right up my ally. Anyone wanna join me in this challenge?

Also, yesterday while I was in La La Land, my kids entertained each other and did well on their own for some longer periods of time. This is what I found throughout the day (none of these pictures are staged):







And today, one of Kaylin's little teachers caught me silently watching her at the construction table and took a picture of her for me. She thinks she's such a big girl when she goes to "school" when I volunteer!


2 comments:

Katy Lin :) said...

praise the Lord! i hope that you guys have a fabulous birthday weekend! :)

HeathahLee said...

I'm so glad y'all were able to talk! Being on the same page with your spouse makes all the difference!

I have been seriously considering what I can do to make my home more of a haven. I need some major work! I don't know why, but lately I just can't keep it clean. And it drives me crazy. I used to be a person who couldn't stand for my home to be a mess. Why am I settling for that now? I'm going to check out the blog now!

Related Posts with Thumbnails