I have the gift of faith. (I even believed in Santa for way, way too long; I felt so sorry for the other kids who believed the lies that their older siblings and other kids told them.) My faith is rarely tested...I know with 100% confidence that God is in control of every aspect of my life, whether or not things are going the way I think they should.
But this week, we were blindsided.
Mike was laid off. It's no surprise in this economy that people are losing their jobs, and I'm convinced it will only get worse. But for some reason, this really caught me off guard.
Yes, giving at our church has decreased this year. (To my Christian readers - please continue to tithe, even through the tough times. The church still has a staff to support and bills to pay!) Yes, our church is very large with an equally large staff. But Mike is a great employee - works smarter rather than harder, doesn't chit chat around the water cooler all day, he is a man of integrity, and he's very knowledgeable in his field. But I suppose the majority of the people on staff at our church are all of the things on that list, too.
Somehow, I just thought my husband's job was more secure. He was a part of the meetings where they tried to trim any and every area in an attempt to not have to let people go. I thought that if they had to make cuts, it would be the lower men on the totem pole. But his job is being dissolved and the group remaining in his department will now have to share his duties.
Isn't that always how it goes? It's great to be one of the people still on the payroll, but when there are layoffs, everyone suffers. The people left with their same jobs end up with more responsibilities and longer hours. All because of this horrible, stupid economy. Ugh, don't get me started.
As for me? I'm doing fine. I should say that I'm doing better. Last night, I wasn't doing so hot. I tried to hide my tears from Mike and the kids, realizing all that will be changing in the coming months. We've had a pretty sweet deal these last couple of years. Mike leaves for work at 8:25 and arrives at 8:30. He comes home every day for lunch and has to drive through 3 stop lights to get back home in the evening. The only employers between our house and our church are in a grocery store strip mall.
Now I'm wondering where God will take him next? I know He has a plan. And just like a friend said: I know this happened for a reason, I know I'm not given more than I can handle, I know many people are going through much worse, I know we will survive this and I know I will come out of it a stronger person. It's just tough, you know? It hurts my heart that Mike has to go through this again.
The last time he was laid off was just weeks after I found out I was pregnant with Ryan. His department was being transferred to California and he was given 6 months to find a new job. That was a scary time. And, of course, God provided a great position for him. I am confident that will happen again, it's just a bit unnerving.
It's also frustrating to know that in recent months, I've tightened up our spending quite a bit. What will we have to do to scale back now? Will we have to pull Ryan out of school? Sell a car? Sell a house for thousands less than it's worth? We're locked into certain commitments like our cell phones and we have pre-paid discount plans with places like our gym. So our lifestyle may not appear to change much at first...especially because we've lived very frugally for quite a while! Or so I thought. I just learned the definition of a "spending freeze."
I am proud to say that I took some time this afternoon to plan our meals for the entire month of November using only what we have in the house at the moment! I will still get the produce co-op every other week and will need to buy milk and eggs, but I think that's the extent of our grocery needs this month. We'll see if it works out.
So girlfriends (and the few gentlemen readers out there) - I need your prayers. WE need your prayers. Men put so much stock in having the ability to put food on the table and to support their families. It encompasses such a huge part of who they are as a human being and a member of society. I don't want this to get my man down. He stresses out way too easily and I want this to be a time where we pull together as a family and look back with thankfulness. I want this to stretch our faith and deepen our relationship with each other and with Christ.
And a quick, shameless plug: if my local Phoenix friends have any leads or connections to Accounting or Finance jobs (preferably in our area of town) - please let me know!
Thank you for your support and prayers. I'll keep you posted.

Katie, I am sorry to hear about Mike's job. I will be praying for you guys. I know you will keep the faith, you are probably the strongest Christain women I know. God has an awesome plan for you all and He will see you through this! I love ya!
ReplyDeleteKatie, I am truly sad that this has happened. I will pray that something new will come along soon, and that you will stay strong through this test. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.
ReplyDeleteWow. That I didn't see coming.
ReplyDeleteI guess for some reason, I expected churches to realize the importance of keeping the families they have working for them "safe" so to speak.
I share your frustration in this time...my husband is working two jobs for the first time in our 13 year marriage just to keep our basic bills paid. We have made 20% of what we made last year...ugh...real estate stinks right now.
And now he is looking for an entirely new career in a different market that will be a little more stable...so I understand and empathize with you girl!
His identity is SO wrapped up in not only who he is in Christ (thankfully his faith is so much stronger than mine these days), but also in what he does for a living.
It's hard to watch your husband feel like he failed your family.
We will pray for you guys!
God Bless!
The Maid
I am praying for y'all right now, Katie! I have been where you are several times, and each time we have been amazed at how God takes care of us! He already has the solution in place!
ReplyDeleteKatie, I'm so sorry to hear about this. We have been there, so I understand how you are feeling.
ReplyDeleteThe biggest thing to remember through it all is that as tithers, God is our source, not our jobs. He has endless ways to get money to us. Just keep your faith and keep looking to God as your source and you will look back and me amazed at how good our God is.
Ugh! Your post hit me hard this morning...partially because I worked with Mike and respect him completely and partially because I know the strain that it puts on you -- the manager of the home. This is a humbling time for all of us. Let's really pray for America and the next president elected.
ReplyDeleteI'm very sorry to hear abou that Katie. I will pray for you guys. I never question God's plan, but to tell you the truth, this is one more thing to add to the list of reasons I've been questioning our church's plan.
ReplyDelete{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
ReplyDeleteso sorry to hear this i will be praying for you and i believe God has asuch a big plan for you.
Jer 29:11
Katie, I am so sorry! I had no idea that Mike would be effected by all of this. You and your family are in our prayers. I can't wait to see what God's plan is for all of you, just try and remain faithful! Let me know if you need anything!
ReplyDeleteWow Katie, there is nothing more for me to say that hasn't been said by all of the amazing friends and readers you have. I am praying for you! Love ya!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you're going through this. Keep the faith and God will provide.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!
I can't really say much more then everyone else has already said! But I can say that this is a time in your life where you will be the strength and glue that holds the family up! You will be there for Mike every step of the way holding that faith strong for both of you. Kevin was layed off years ago and I know I was a major factor in our ability to TRUST that the lay off was GOD's Plan, not a mistake or a horrible thing, but a NECESSARY step needed to achieve God's goal for us and our family. I will keep you in our prayers!! JOlie
ReplyDeleteHey sister- I'm so sorry for you and the family. If it helps, I know exactly how you feel. If you need anything please let me know.
ReplyDeleteOh Katie, I am so sorry. This is happening so much. Scott was told this week that while he has a job, his pay scale would drastically change. It is a very tough place to be it, but honestly, I'm not afraid. Actually, I am very excited to see what God will do with this situation. Scott has not been happy in his job for some time, so I think that God may use this time to push Scott in a different direction.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you and for Mike. May he find something soon. God can and will provide. Keep us posted on the search.
-- Brandi
Hi Katie, I'm so sorry to hear this news. We are in a real financial crunch right now as well, so I feel your pain. It's so hard to try to be strong for your family. There are times when I just want to break down, but I hold it in. Sometimes I let it out and boy does it help!!! I heard that there is a place in California where you can go and just throw dishes and other breakables at a brick wall. I'd love to spend a morning there for some girl time! :) I don't know if you knew that my husband is a realtor... need I say more!?!? It's been a tough few years for us, but God pulls through. I'm here for you and let me know if you come across any more money saving tips! :) Love ya, Megan
ReplyDeleteHey my friend,
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you and Mike. Mike is an incredible special man with so much to offer and you are an amazing woman with many talents. I am praying that God will open a door that will leave you both speechless at what God can do for His children that trust in Him.
I Love you guys and hope this will only bring you closer. Mark and I are praying and I will be checking on you. We will keep our ears open for any opportunities we might hear of. Big hugs to you both.
your sister in Christ,
sandra
Prayers for you and your family. I know God has a great plan for Mike and trusting in Him will bring you all comfort.
ReplyDelete